Lemon and Lavender Meringue Roulade with Blueberries
With Summer finally on its way, it is that time of year that I like to think of some scrumptious desserts to serve in the garden, now I adore the traditional recipes, such as Victoria Sponge, Apple Tart, but one of my absolute favourite summer sweet treats is a simple meringue with fresh seasonal fruit and vanilla cream.
Now, I am a huge fan of the humble meringue, but I am an even bigger fan of a roulade as it combines the crumbly, delicate meringue, with zingy and fresh fruit while the fresh, whipped vanilla cream adds a touch of elegance to this somewhat rustic dessert.
My favourite roulade recipe normally includes mountains of fresh cream and raspberries, that was until I stumbled upon this absolutely delicious recipe of Lemon, Lavender & Blueberry Roulade.
So, now onto the fun part, creating this delicious roulade.
6 large free-range egg whites
80g lavender sugar
100g golden caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
Icing sugar for dusting
250g lemon curd
300ml double cream, softly whipped
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
400g fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/130°fan/ gas 2. Line a 36cm x 25cm roulade tin (or shallow baking tray) with baking paper, leaving a 3cm overhang.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until very stiff, then gradually whisk in the lavender sugar and caster sugar until smooth and glossy. Whisk in the cornflour.
3. Spoon the meringue mixture into the prepared tin and spread out evenly with a palette knife. Bake for 45 minutes, then leave to cool in the tin. Dust a large sheet of baking paper with icing sugar and turn out the meringue onto it. Carefully peel off the baking paper and leave to cool.
4. Spread the lemon curd over the cool meringue, then cover evenly with whipped cream. Roll up the meringue from the long side (using the baking paper underneath to help), then place on a serving plate, join-side down. Chill for 30 minutes.
5. Put the caster sugar and lemongrass in a pan with a splash of water and heat gently, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the blueberries, then simmer gently for 5 minutes until they soften but still hold their shape. Leave to cool, then chill. Serve with slices of the roulade.
PER SERVING 271kcals, 13g fat (7.8g saturated), 2.3g protein, 33.8g carbs, 30.2g sugar, 0.1g salt, 0.4g fibre
Make the meringue the day before, wrap in cling film and leave in a cool place. It may deflate a bit but will still roll.
Image & Recipe Source